Water Damage and Mold

Water damage is a major cause for concern in any household or building. Water damage does not occur only as a result of floods or heavy rain, but also due to seemingly innocuous problems such as a simple leak in a pipe. Water damaged walls are very common whenever there is a leak in a pipe that runs through a wall. Water may be the elixir of life, but it has proven to be severely damaging to our goods and property. The walls, wood and carpeting in our homes require protection from water sources, as they can be damaged far too easily. In the event of unforeseen water damage, immediate repair and restoration is essential in order to prevent further damage by mold and mildew. Restoration companies can provide the tools and expertise necessary to return your property to its former glory.

Substantial moisture combined with brick walls or fabrics is the perfect recipe for mold growth; hence, you will often find that damp walls, carpeting and wood all tend to house mold growth. Mold and mildew thrive in damp, cool places, meaning that any place where water remains stagnant for a long period of time will likely foster mildew growth. Mold can prove to be damaging to the objects on which it grows, compromising walls, carpeting and wood with upsetting ease. Since it is essentially a variety of fungi, mold should not be ignored. It can have negative effects on the environment of a home and the air we breathe, and may be especially harmful to babies and children who tend to stay very close to the floor.

Certain mold varieties can be toxic and may lead to severe health problems; therefore, mold should be destroyed at first sight.  Prevent mold growth in the first place by taking steps to ensure that water damage does not occur. Dehumidifiers work well at removing moisture, and in the event that mold starts growing at a rapid pace, chemicals that treat and kill mold and its spores should be applied. You can carry out most basic mold techniques by yourself without any professional expertise, but when there has been severe water damage and a large amount of mold or mildew is present, it is best to consult a mold cleanup professional to undertake the inspection and removal process. Also, if you do not know much about mold or have trouble differentiating between regular and toxic molds, it would be better to leave the task to a professional. Black mold removal, in particular, requires special care; amateur attempts at removal are not recommended.

In the rare cases where water damage is truly unavoidable, proper measures should be taken to immediately remove moisture from the area. Usage of electronic dehumidifiers, silica gel, additional waterproofing of property, and so forth are a few of the methods that one should consider. If you live in a region that is frequently subjected to heavy rains and a high water flow, purchasing mold insurance for your property might also be recommended.  Water entering your property uninvited might be unavoidable, but these solutions for preventing water damage are always within reach.